Camping season is officially in full swing… and so are all of the camping foods!!
The problem is, I struggle to stick to my healthy eating goals if I am not prepared.
The smell of melted cheese on giant burgers and loaded hot dogs gets me every.single.time.
I have to admit that so far, during this camping season, it feels as if I prep twice in the week (boo!).Once for the work week, and once for the weekend.
I had to find a way to try to not derail all of my healthy eating success each weekend … and not spend 2 times a week meal prepping.
So, I started my search for freezer friendly meals that would be great to cook while camping.
Here are some of the things on my camping meal prep plans this summer, that you might want to prep ahead before you head out on your camping trips:
Foil Pack Dinners
My friend Kaidy over at Social Supper always seems to have foil packs on her rotating menu – so I finally gave them a try and I was honestly shocked at how good the meals come out when it is merely cooked over the fire in tin foil.
So, I decided to round up some foil pack recipes to plan for my summer meals.
These are so simple to put together – wrap (usually) raw ingredients in foil.. and done. I chose to put them in foil tin trays but you could do foil wraps just as each recipe has.
I am all about LESS dishes when camping! These are also great options even if you don’t camp. They are great to throw on the backyard grill right after work – especially on those hot days you don’t want to cook!
This summer, I am sampling my way through ALL of these bad boys:
- Foil Packet Sweet Potato Tacos (Mel’s Kitchen Cafe) *I parboil potatoes if freezing*
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Foil Packet Meal (Real House Moms)
- Lime Butter Salmon in Foil (The Recipe Critic)
- Grilled Pasta Packets (Eat 8020)
- Campfire Tex Mex White Bean Chicken Packets (The Kitchen Magpie)
- Lemon Chicken and Potatoes in Foil (Damn Delicious) *I parboil potatoes if freezing*
- Honey Dijon Chicken Veggies in Foil (Eat Well 101)
- Chipotle Lime Salmon (Closet Cooking) *aka salmon crack – LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe – and I put the sauce on chicken too*
- Shrimp Pasta in Foil Pack (Pioneer Woman)
| Expert Tip | – make sure there is oil in between the foil and the food. If not, your food WILL stick and you will cry. I learned this tough lesson the hard way! This is also why I am fan of putting a bed of veggies (usually zucchini) under the lean proteins as well.
Food on a Stick!
Perfect for campfire cooking, prepping food on sticks is easy to make ahead, and easy to cook on the fire. Win-Win.
If you don’t want to mess around with the sticks, you can also put the contents (without the stick) into a foil pack or foil tin like I did.
This summer, these stick foods are happening on my campfire:
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs (Mellow Mondays)
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Kabobs (Table for Two)
- Coconut & Pineapple Sweet Chili Shrimp (Closet Cooking)
- Rosemary Ranch Chicken Kabobs ( The Girl Who Ate Everything)
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp & Pineapple Skewers (Closet Cooking)
- Mango Sriracha Chicken Skewers with Fruit Salsa (Eat Yourself Skinny)
- Grilled Veggie Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce (Minimalist Baker)
I am well on my way to trying my way through all of these recipes and am actually looking forward dinners this summer – both at home and at our campsite!
As I make my way through these recipes this summer, I am posting my reviews on my Instagram, so come follow along and see how these all turn out!