This Hearty Taco Breakfast Casserole is made on Sunday and is a portable meal prep breakfast for the next 4 days. Packed with protein from turkey and eggs, this breakfast will keep you full all the way to lunch!
This Hearty Taco Breakfast Casserole is what got my breakfast skipping husband, who also doesn't eat eggs, to start doing both.
So, basically, this is a miracle breakfast casserole.
Brad has always been a chronic breakfast skipper, but this recipe has been on repeat for months at our house. Brad makes it on Sunday, and takes it for his work desk breakfast everyday.
This recipe makes about 6-8 breakfasts, depending on preferred portion so if you don't have 2 people eating it for the week, it does freeze well too!
The best added bonus is that yet again, I jam veggies into this breakfast, and yet it is still so so so very filling.
Brad was really skeptical the first time he saw me load this up with spinach, but once it cooks down you barely notice it. For the record, he also turned his nose up at sweet potato, but now won't have it any other way.
I repeat... this Hearty Taco Breakfast Casserole is a miracle making game changer.
With a carb, protein X2, veggies, and fat (hello cheese), this is a really well rounded breakfast that almost tastes too good to be true.
So, this week, prep this on Sunday and enjoy a hearty breakfast all week!
Hearty Taco Breakfast Casserole
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed into bite size pieces approz 2 cups
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup ripped spinach
- 12 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In skillet, cook the ground turkey until no pink remains. When the turkey is half way cooked, add the taco seasoning to the pan and incorporate into the turkey.
- Once no pink remains, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and pepper together and set aside.
- In a greased or parchment lined 8 X 8 pan assemble the casserole starting with the sweet potato on the bottom.
- Add the ground turkey taco mixture on top of the sweet potato.
- Add the spinach on top of the turkey.
- Pour the whisked eggs over the spinach.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the casserole and it should come out clean.
- Eat casserole within 4 days, or portion and freeze!
So, there you have it, a husband friendly hearty taco breakfast casserole for the week ahead!