Just like that… Summer is over and Fall routines are back into full swing!
I didn’t spend too much time posting new content on the blog this summer – sorry! But, now it’s back to doing blog things, and getting back into the freezer cooking routine and filling my freezer for Fall – I started by turning all of my garden zucchini into freezer meals.
Also as Fall sets in, that means getting back into live workshops! In fact those have already begun.
The Instant Pot Masterclass I co host with Social Supper, a meal prep studio here in Airdrie, Alberta is back up and running!!
Each month I convert many of their rotating menu items into instant pot dinners, and I teach our participants how to use all of those buttons on the Instant Pot.
This month, we have this recipe in our demo. I love this one because… ummm it’s DELISH… and I can demo how to do pot in pot cooking! Who doesn’t love cooking multiple parts of your meal…at once… yet separate!?
To be able to do this setup, you need:
- a long leg trivet
- stainless bowl that fits inside your pot. I use this spice container as a bowl…. but if you don’t have one, you can use these mini loaf pans that hold 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water.
Thanks to Two Sleevers for this tip!
If you like things super saucy, double the sauce recipe, but I make it with the recipe as is and love it.
To set up pot in pot:
- Place the meatballs and sauce in the liner of the pot.
- Place the trivet inside.
- Add the rice and water to the bowl and place on top of the trivet. I cover my rice with foil, but I think the jury is out on if it is absolutely necessary.
- ⅔ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or soy alternative
- optional: cornstarch slurry 1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 Tablespoons water.
- 1.5 cups white rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 egg
- Mix egg and ground beef and form 1" meatballs
- In the liner of your instant pot, whisk together the pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce, and soy sauce.
- Add the meatballs (gently!) into the pot.
- If doing pot in pot, add the trivet into the pot.
- Place the rice combined with water in your bowl and place on top of the trivet.
- Cover the rice with foil.
- Secure the lid on your instant pot. Seal the pot, and press manual and set for 10 minutes.
- When timer beeps, let the pot naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the remaining pressure.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, remove the meatballs, and add the cornstarch slurry after the pressure cycle is complete.
For make ahead:
- Prep the meatballs and place in a freezer container. I often freeze on a cookie sheet over night and then transfer.
- In a separate bag, store the sauce.
- When it is time to cook, put the thawed contents into the pot and dinner is ready in no time.
So, there you have it, a freezer friendly, instant pot recipe to get dinner on the table quick and (almost) hands free!