This amazingly delicious Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs with rice recipe is one of my most favorite menu items at my friend’s meal prep studio, Social Supper, and today she is letting me share it with you!
When we teach our live Instant Pot Masterclass at her shop, Kaidy and I love to show you how to cook 2 things at the same time, yet separate in your instant pot. Talk about a true one pot dish!
So now too, on the blog, we are inspiring you to get mastering pot in pot cooking using this super simple, highly delicious Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs with rice recipe!
To get this weeknight one pot dinner on the table in under 20 minutes, you need a few extras that didn’t come with your instant pot.
- a long leg trivet
- stainless bowl that fits inside your pot. I use this spice container as a bowl…. but if you don’t have one, you can use these mini loaf pans that hold 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water.
Thanks to Two Sleevers for this tip!
If you like things super saucy, double the sauce recipe, but I make it with the recipe as is and love it.
To set up pot in pot for Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Rice:
- Place the meatballs and sauce in the liner of the pot. It is ok to stack them a bit, but try to spread them out.
- Place the trivet inside.
- Add the rice and water to the bowl and place on top of the trivet. I cover my rice with foil, but I think the jury is out on if it is absolutely necessary.
- 1 pound ground turkey or other extra lean ground meat - DO NOT USE REGULAR GROUND BEEF
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or soy alternative
- cornstarch slurry 1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 Tablespoons water.
- 1.5 cups white basmati rice
- 1.5 cups water
Mix egg and lean ground meat and form 1" meatballs and set aside.
In the liner of your instant pot, whisk together the pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce, and soy sauce.
Add the meatballs (gently!) into the pot.
If doing pot in pot, add the trivet into the pot.
Place the rice combined with water in your bowl and place on top of the trivet.
Secure the lid on your instant pot. Seal the pot, and press manual and set for 10 minutes.
When timer beeps, let the pot naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
Quick release the remaining pressure.
Once the pot is depressurized, remove the meatballs, and add the cornstarch slurry and press saute to thicken the sauce for 2-3 minutes. Add the meatballs back in to saucy!
Only use very lean meat for this recipe. You are not able to drain the grease after cooking and using regular ground beef results in very oily sauce.
This recipe freezes really well for meal prep lunches too!
So, there you have it, a quick tutorial and a really delicious idea for dinner tonight!