Air fryer steak is the way to get a juicy steak with a great sear!
With only 12 minutes of total air fryer time, this is a quick way to get restaurant quality steak, in a fraction of the time and money.
How does and Air Fryer cook steak?!
An air fryer is a really powerful convection oven - in a small space. This is what makes it so unique and not just a convection oven.
The small space allows the air to be pushed around AND allows your food to cook quickly.
No need to go outside to the grill in the winter. No need to fan the smoke alarm after setting it off with a cast iron sear, either!
What you need ( and what can you substitute)
- Steak - I prefer to use rib eye steak, but you can use any steak you like. The directions here are for steaks at least ¾" thick. If you choose a thinner or thicker steak, the cook time will need to be modified.
- Steak Spice - I use a local spice made here in Airdrie, Alberta (called No Missed Steak) by Township 27, but you can use any steak spice of choice.
- Butter - you could also use olive oil if you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper - use fresh ground pepper - always!
How to Air Fry Steak
- Pre heat your air fryer to 400F
- Pat your steaks dry,
- Brush soft butter onto both sides of your steaks.
- Add your dry rub to the buttered steaks.
- When air fryer is to temp, cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip and air fry another 5 minutes.
- Check temperature using an instant read thermometer to cook to preferred doneness.
- Let steak rest for 10 minutes to prevent the steak from losing it's juices.
Steak Temperatures and Cook Times
When cooking steak, using any method, never rely solely on cook times.
Always cook steak to desired doneness using temperature. Directions provided are for medium doneness steak.
- Rare - 125F
- Medium Rare - 135F
- Medium - 145F
- Medium Well - 155F
- Well done - 160F+
This completely depends on the size of your air fryer basket size. The important thing to remember is that your steaks should not be touching so that air can circulate all around it.
I always use ribeye for this, but New York Strip works well too. Try and use steak close to 1 inch in thickness.
More Air Fryer Beef Inspiration
Air Fryer Steak
- 2 1" thick rib eye steaks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp steak spice of choice
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Pre heat air fryer to 400°F
- While the air fryer preheats, prep your steaks by rubbing them with butter, and then adding your seasoning.
- Once air fryer is to temp, place the steaks into the basket or tray.
- Air fry for 5 minutes.
- Flip the steaks
- Air Fry another 5 minutes.
- Check steak with instant read thermometer to get to desired temperature:Rare 135FMedium 145FWell 160F
- Once steak hits desired temperature, remove from air fryer, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.