No deep fryer needed to get these Air Fryer Crispy Greek Chicken Pockets.
Grab your whole wheat tortillas and lean ground chicken, and start dipping these bad boys in tzatziki as if you are in Greece living like a Greek Goddess (or God)!
I don't know what it is about Greek flavors that I love so much, but it is definitely one of my favorite types of cuisine.
I mean, who can say no to tzatziki?!
These are a "healthed up" alternative to a pizza pocket style food, and way less work without having to make dough. To be honest, you could stuff any sorts of things in these. More ideas to come I am sure!
My healthy spin has whole wheat tortillas, lean ground chicken (or Turkey) and no deep frying required to get that mega crunch.
These are awesome for make ahead in the freezer too. You simply assemble your pockets as per the directions below, and freeze on a cookie tray overnight, and then transfer to a freezer safe zip bag.
You can cook them from frozen too, but the cook time will increase substantially (from 6 minutes to about 20 minutes or more).
Let's chat assembly real quick. Each pocket needs a half of a 10" tortilla, folded 3 times. like shown below.
Once folded and a pocket is created, it is time to stuff it.
Once it is stuffed, use the flour paste ( described below) to close the end up. Don't lose sleep getting these all sealed up. Because you are not deep frying them and tossing them around, the filling doesn't fall out.
As for the seam, just make sure it is on the bottom when you air fry and it is magic how it all seals up!
Air Fryer Crispy Greek Chicken Pockets
- 5, 10 " whole wheat tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Tzatziki for dipping
- 1 pound ground Chicken or Turkey
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup feta or chevre cheese
- Cut each of the 5 tortillas in half so you end up with 10 halves. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, add the ground chicken (or turkey) and all filling ingredients, except for the cheese.
- Once the meat is cooked, mix in the cheese. Set aside the mixture.
- Mix the flour and the water together to make a paste.
- Take on tortilla half and fold it to create a triangle (see photos in post). Fold a second and a third time until you end up with a cone.
- Stuff each tortilla pocket with approximately 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture.
- Using a brush, use the flour paste to seal up the up end. Press the ends together much like assembling a dumpling.
- Repeat this until all the filling is used.
- Place seam down and set the air fryer to 370F and set the timer for 6 minutes (or until desired crispiness).
- For extra crispiness, brush olive oil on the side of the pocket facing up. There is no need to flip your chicken pockets.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before you bite into the crunchy amazingness.
So, there you have it, a deliciously crispy golden chicken pocket lover. I mean.. recipe.