Instant Pot hamburger vegetable soup is a hearty soup that is jam packed with veggies and ground beef. With only 5 minutes under pressure, this healthy comfort dinner will quickly be your family’s go to recipe!
You don’t need an Instant Pot for this soup, but I love how once you sauté the ground beef and aromatics, and add it all the hearty veggies, it is a hands free way to make soup and not worry about anything boiling over !
Ingredient Swaps & Suggestions
This is a super flexible recipe and you don’t have to use the vegetables I chose. But, this is a great way to use up those frozen veggies!
Ground Beef – using a lean ground beef will prevent you from having a greasy soup. I suggest using lean beef, but if all you have is regular ground beef, drain off as much as the fat as you can, after the sauté step.
Onion, Celery, Carrot (the mirepoix). You can use fresh ingredients as called out for in the recipe, but I have also made this with frozen mirepoix and that is a great timesaver!
Potatoes – any potato will work here. I often use mini potatoes, but you use whatever you have. Because of the potato, you can freeze this soup, but know that potatoes frozen in a soup like this will break down during reheat from frozen. I don’t mind it since is just thickens the soup up, but just know that potatoes frozen in this way do change texture.
Consommé – consommé is a rich broth that is a clarified broth. It adds great depth of flavor to beef based soups, but if you don’t have it, just replace it with beef broth.
How to make hamburger vegetable soup
This is really as simple as using your sauté feature to brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. You can also sauté the celery here too.
Then, add in the veggies you choose to use.
Add in the broth, consommé broth, tomato paste, and seasonings and put under pressure for 5 minutes, and then let the pot naturally depressurize for 5 minutes before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
What to serve with hamburger soup
This soup is really hearty and is great on it’s own as a meal. But, you can serve yours with any of these great options:
- Warm buttered buns
- Fresh bread with butter
- A side salad
- Garlic bread
How to freeze this soup?
My preference is to freeze soup in individual servings for future lunches. I do this freezing soup in mason jars (here is how to do without breaking jars!) or using my Souper Cube trays (affiliate link).
Having a freezer with singer serve grab and go soups is a great way to start building that freezer stock
Lover of Instant Pot soups?! ME TOO! Here are my 3 favorite soups that you might enjoy too!
Instant Pot Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 6 Quart Instant Pot
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups diced potatoes approx 10 mini potatoes
- 2 284ml (10oz) cans consommé or just swap this volume with more beef broth
- 2.5 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to own preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Press the sauté button. When hot, add beef, onions, and garlic.
- When the beef is no longer pink, drain excess grease if using regular ground beef. Cancel the saute function.
- Add all remaining ingredients into the pot.
- Secure the lid, set to 5 minutes high pressure.
- When the pressure cycle is complete, allow the pot to naturally depressurize for 5 minutes. Then quick release remaining ingredients.
- Serve with garlic bread, buttered buns, or crackers!
- Nutrition info is only an estimate for 1 cup serving.