When tortilla soup meets jalapeno popper soup, you get this Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Jalapeno Soup! I know.. sounds different. Trust me!
This soup was suppose to be a jalapeno popper type soup… but then I went off on a recipe development tangent and ended up with something even better, and I give you… Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Jalapeno soup.
Of all the soup recipes on the blog, I don’t know why I haven’t been adding a bit of cream cheese to soup before this. But WOW. Life changed.
The jury is still out on the spiciness level of this soup. I thought it was quite spicy, and my husband thought I was on glue and said it wasn’t spicy at all. So… I don’t have a good answer for you on this one.
Also, when cooking anything with Jalapenos, it is always a bit of jalapeno roulette to see how spicy your dish will be.
All jalapenos are born different. Some feel as mild as a regular green pepper, and some end up mega hot – you just never know. So, yes, jalapeno roulette. That is a real thing.
The number one feature I love about Instant Pots is the saute feature. I love to saute my aromatics just a bit before adding all of the ingredients in. Is it a necessary step – nope! But, I think it adds a bit more depth to the flavor when you saute your aromatics (onion & garlic)
To be honest, I have a hard time winning Brad over with my recipes. Basically if it doesn’t come off of a smoker or grill and contain beef or pork, I am headed into an uphill battle. But, this soup got a 10/10 from him – which is rare my friends.
Just one heads up for this recipe. Always add the cream cheese AFTER the pressure cycle! Other than that, it’s a pretty simple, dump and go recipe!
Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Jalapeno Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half if large)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 block (125g) cream cheese (room temp is best)
- Press the saute function on the Instant Pot, and once hot, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir often.
- Press cancel to turn off the saute feature. Add chicken, salsa and chicken stock to the pot.
- Secure the lid, turn to sealing, and set the pot to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully quick release the pressure. You can let the pot naturally depressurize too. Really is your choice on this one.
- Shred the chicken with forks. I find it easier to pull the chicken out with tongs and chop it and return it back to the pot.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir until melted and incorporated into the soup. Turn the saute function back on if the cream cheese is not melting well.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Stove Top Directions
- If making this on the stove top, follow the same sequence as above, changing the simmer time to 30 minutes, versus 5 minute pressure time.
So, there you have it, the first time I put cream cheese into a soup… ended up with the most amazing Easy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Jalapeno Soup…and wrote about jalapeno roulette!
If you make this I want to see! Don’t forget to tag @mealplanaddict on Instagram so I can see!