Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan will have you enjoying the crispy coating you love with this classic without all of the oil. Serve this up with pasta, rice, cauli rice or a pile of veggies for a delicious family favorite dinner!
The crispiest chicken parm is usually fried in a shallow fry.
But, with your air fryer, you can get the ultimate crispiness with a fraction of the mess and oil.
The secret to crispy chicken parm
The not so secret, secret to this ultra crispy air fried chicken parm, is the panko (vs breadcrumbs). We also go ahead and dredge each piece of chicken twice!
Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb. The main difference is that panko is made without crusts, whereas traditional bread crumbs are made with crusts.
Seems like a small difference, but it is what makes panko give that extra crispy texture.
Why use an air fryer for Chicken Parm?
An air fryer has been a welcomed addition to our kitchen, for so many things (see here for what can be made in your Air Fryer).
Air fryers are basically counter top convection ovens. The high heat and fan created circulation is what creates the air “fried” texture – without the frying.
With this recipe, you get the crispness of frying your chicken, but without the hassle and use of oil.
The end result is far better (in terms of cripiness) than what I was getting in the oven.
I have the Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer, which I love. I have my full review on that Air Fryer here.
Because of their smaller size (compared to an oven) the cook time is also quicker! Often, I can have air fryer foods done and plated, before the oven is even fully pre heated!
Tip and Tricks to prepare Air Fryer Chicken Parm
Single layer – only in your air fryer – this with anything you air fry. You want just one single layer.
Flip half way – You want to crisp up both sides. Don’t forget to flip them (carefully) half way through the cook time.
Don’t over crowd – overcrowding your tray prevents the hot air from circulating properly, and you won’t get that same crispness.
Cut your chicken in half lengthwise – you want your chicken parm thinner, and flatter than a whole chicken breast.
What about meal prepping chicken parm?
This chicken parm reheats so well! The crispy coating locks in all of the moisture.
Pair this with cauliflower rice ( or any veggie you want!) for a perfect meal prep option!
What to serve Chicken Parm with?
- Salad of any kind
- On a bed of spaghetti
- On a bed of rice
- With highly addictive air fryer broccoli
- Cauliflower rice
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups panko
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella (or sub for provolone slices)
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into thin fillets, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the panko, garlic powder, salt, pepper, parm and Italian seasoning.
- Dip a chicken breast fillet into the egg, then into the panko mixture.
- Dip the coated breast back into egg, and again into the panko mixture.
- Set chicken onto a oil sprayed air fryer basket/rack. Spray the top of the coated chicken with a quick spritz of oil.
- Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.
- Set air fryer to 400°F
- Set timer for 5 minutes.
- At the end of the 5 minutes, carefully flip your chicken.
- Once filipped, add 2-3 tablespoons of marinara sauce and cheese to each fillet.
- Set the timer for another 5 minutes.
- Check that chicken is cooked to 165°F. Cook times may vary slightly based on thickness of chicken fillet.
- Serve immediately.