This ground beef spin on Philly Cheesesteak is a quick and limited ingredient dish that will have you ditching the traditional style Philly Cheesesteak sandwich this week, and make this super quick and simple version for dinner or your lunch meal preps this week!
Ground beef Philly cheesesteak has all of the classic flavors of a traditional style cheesesteak sandwich, but this version is made in under 20 minutes
Ground Beef Meal Prep version versus Traditional Philly Cheesesteak
First of all, a traditional Philly cheesesteak is a sandwich and not a rice and meat dish! Second, it is made with shaved beef (steak) vs ground beef. It has been around since the 1930’s!
The green pepper, onions, mushrooms, and melted Provolone on a long hoagie bun also are part of the traditional version.
This is all the flavors, minus the effort and heavy sandwich.
If you want a traditional style version – check out this Authentic Philly Cheesesteak recipe!
Ingredients for our Meal Prep Version!
Same classic flavors – a bit different ingredients!
- Don’t have provolone? No worries. Swap for Colby jack or even in a pinch, I use mozzarella.
- You can use yellow, white or even red onion for this recipe.
- Looking to make this even leaner? Swap the ground beef for the ground protein of your choice.
How to make the Ground Beef version
This meal prep can easily be made low carb by swapping out the rice for cauli rice, or by having it along side some steamed veggies instead.
I also like to load up a baked potato and smother it with the meat and cheese!
Leftovers? No problem!
- Keep this refrigerated for up to 4 days max. On reheat, add a teaspoon of water and cover so you don’t dry this out.
- This is freezer friendly! I freeze in my souper cube trays so I have this ready to go in single servings. To reheat it is best to reheat from thawed. Same applies as above. Add about a teaspoon of water to prevent drying out on reheat.
Love ground beef meal preps? Me too! Check out this ground beef Stroganoff meal prep too!
Are you ready to get your Philly Cheesesteak loving meal prep on?!
Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak Meal Prep
- 1- 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese (or traditional provalone!)
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- Cook your rice according to the package.
- While the rice cooks, in a large frying pan, on medium heat, saute the beef until half way cooked.
- Add the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms to the pan. Let simmer until beef cooked throughout. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Add the Worcestershire and beef broth to the pan. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Add the cheese to the mixture, and remove from heat. Residual heat will make the cheese all melty.
- Divide the Philly cheesesteak mixture into 3-4 meal prep containers (depending on preferred portions) and add 1/2 cup cooked rice (or cauli rice) to each container.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate for up to 4 days.
So, there you have it, another traditional restaurant classic – morphed into a a meal prep lunch!
If you like the look so of this Meal Prep, check out ALL of my meal prep recipes here.