Healthy cheeseburger breakfast casserole is all the key flavors of a cheeseburger, but lightened up a bit and loaded with pickles! Pickle lovers unite as now we can enjoy pickles for breakfast now too!
Cheeseburger flavors for breakfast?! Correct.
Make it once and enjoy it all week!? Correct.
Steph, are you pickle obsessed?! Correct.
Pickle love (and apparently cheeseburger love) runs deep on this blog.
This recipe gets it's cheeseburger flavors from the combo of onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, and pickles! Yes, dry mustard. That is the key here!
Breakfast Casseroles are perfect for Meal Prep!
When I created hearty taco breakfast casserole, I became hooked on prepping a hearty breakfast casserole on the weekend, portioning it out for the week.
This recipe is a very easy way to prep breakfast once, and have a warm hearty breakfast all week.
Can you prep breakfast casseroles and freeze them?
Yes, you can freeze this after it is cooked.
Some people don't love the texture of frozen and reheated egg, but I find given the meat and potato in this recipe it works well as freeze and reheat.
Always make sure the breakfast casserole is not hot at all before you freeze it. This will prevent freezer burn.
Tips for making your healthy cheeseburger breakfast casserole
- Use a 9 X 9 silicone baking pan. I have found that no matter how much I was greasing a glass pan, it can stick.
- Feel free to swap ground turkey for ground chicken, or even ground beef!
- Before you start building your breakfast casserole, place your silicone pan on a sheet pan. Moving a silicone pan with uncooked eggs is going to end in disaster if you don't.
- Cut your potatoes small. No bigger than ½ inch dice. If the potatoes are too large, the egg part of the casserole will be cooked, but your potatoes will be under cooked.
Assembly of your healthy cheeseburger breakfast casserole is really this easy!
- Create a single layer of cubed potato.
- Add your cooked turkey mixture.
- Add pickles.
- Add cheese and bake!
Are you ready to cook breakfast once on Sunday and have healthy cheeseburger breakfast casserole for your work week meal prep breakfasts?
Healthy Cheeseburger Breakfast Casserole
- 9 X 9 silicone baking pan
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cups ½ " diced potatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- ½ cup diced dill pickles
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 357°F
- Place your silicone baking pan on a sheet pan. If using glass, omit this step.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When the turkey is 90% cooked, add in the diced onion. Saute on medium heat until the onions are translucent. Then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire, dry mustard to the eggs. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Start your casserole by laying out the diced potato on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Add the turkey mixture on top of the potato.
- Pour the egg mixture over the turkey mixture.
- Add diced pickles on top of the egg mixture.
- Add shredded cheddar or mozzarella to the casserole.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. You will know it is cooked when the mixture can be lightly tapped and it doesn't jiggle. You can also poke the middle of the casserole with a fork to feel if the potato are soft and no uncooked egg mixture clings to the fork.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve immediately, or portion into meal prep containers for up to 4 days of breakfasts.