Apple Pie Breakfast Parfait is all the taste of dessert turned into a healthy breakfast.
Using Greek yogurt and a super simple chia seed apple jam, this make ahead portable breakfast will not disappoint!
Dessert for breakfast. Yeah I did that.
Given I had to scrape a thin layer of ice off my car this morning, I think it is safe to say that smoothie season is now gone and we are in full force pumpkin spice season. Problem is, I don’t like pumpkin spice. I fully buy into knee high boots and leggings, but pumpkin spice is just not my thing.
To me, fall is baking, with nutmeg and cinnamon everywhere. I also have an abundance of apples this week so had to find something make ahead to do with apples. Apples have a been a challenging make ahead food... until now!
A couple of weeks ago I came across Chia Seed Jam. I love chia jam because it comes together quickly and doesn’t require pectin or any sort of canning procedure. I tried chia jam with strawberries and blueberries following the “How to” on The Kitchn blog and have had success with every fruit I have tried using their simple method.
I have spent the last few weeks mixing it in plain greek yogurt for breakfast and O.M.G. It been a nice way to naturally sweeten high protein plain greek yogurt.
Virtually any fruit can be made into a chia jam so I figured I would try to a make apple jam with some Fall flare to make breakfast taste like an apple pie. This worked out amazingly. Even without all the added fat and sugar that goes into apple pie filling, this faux apple pie might in fact be better than a real apple pie!
For make ahead, I keep the granola (or cereal) separate until just before I eat it so it doesn’t go soggy, but other than that, these work really well as make ahead for the week.
When its time to eat I just mix it altogether and then it is dessert for breakfast!
If you like the looks of this, you will also love the Black Forrest Breakfast Parfait here on the blog!
Apple Pie Breakfast Parfait
- 2 cups peeled apple chopped (approx. 2 large)
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- In a small saucepan combine the apple, water, brown sugar, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon and simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Break up the apple chunks into desired consistency.
- Remove pan from heat. At this point you should have almost no water left in the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and let the jam sit off the heat to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer 2-3 tablespoons of jam into mason jar.
- Divide the yogurt among the containers. I have 4 small mason jars when I am done this recipe.
- At time of serving, add granola.
So, there you have it, the beginnings of me turning dessert foods into breakfast foods!!!