This savory Instant Pot Veggie Loaded White Cheddar Soup comes together with 5 minutes under pressure, and gets its creamy texture from white kidney beans instead of a traditional roux! Perfect for a nearly instant lunch or dinner!
Soup season has begun. I have mixed feelings.
I mean, I am Canadian after all, and a huge fan of sweater weather and soups. But, the allure of jumping on a plane and heading south if even for a weekend to swap out my cup of soup for a margarita, crosses my mind on the daily.
But since my meal plans don’t have margaritas on them on the daily, back to this Instant Pot Veggie Loaded White Cheddar Soup, which for sure lands on my meal plans for days at at time.
This soup was born out of the curiosity I had around using white kidney beans as a soup thickener, over a traditional roux.
I wondered if I could pack the instant pot up with veggies and beans, put it under pressure, then puree it, and mix in some cheese for a savory soup.
Well.. I LOVE IT. Also, aged white cheddar. How can anything about that be wrong?
Pro tip about the cheese.
Pre shredded cheese has an additive to prevent it from clumping. This also decreases the “meltability” (yes, I just made that word up).
For this soup, take the time to grate a really good quality, aged cheddar.
With the mellow flavors of the veggies and beans, you want the cheese to be the star. Make sure you look for an aged and strong cheese for this one.
You guys… this is also a meal preppers dream. You can make the soup, freeze it in mason jars for grab and go easy lunches, or prep it uncooked for a quick weeknight dump and go dinner that is freezer friendly.
To assemble this as a freezer pack, leave the broth out. Add everything except the cheese and green onions to a large freezer zip bag. To a medium zip bag, add the cheese and onion. Store both parts of the recipe together in a third bag.
This recipe can be cooked from frozen, you will need to break it up a bit to fit if you freeze it in a square!
So, there you have it, a comforting Instant Pot Veggie Loaded White Cheddar Soup, with all of the makings of a meal prepper’s dream… and white cheddar. All of the chedda!
Instant Pot Loaded Veggie White Cheddar Soup
- 6 Quart Instant Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 4 cups cauliflower florets one head
- 6 cups broth veggie or chicken
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1 can (540ml) white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes adjust to taste
- 2 teaspooons salt
- 1/2 tespoon pepper
- 2 cups aged white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onion (white and green parts) diced
Make it Now
- To your instant pot's liner, add all of the ingredients, except the green onion and cheese.
- Put the lid on, set the pot to sealing, and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the 5 minute pressure cycle is complete, let the pot sit (naturally pressure release) for 10 minutes.
- Carefully removed the lid and use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
- Add the shredded cheese and onion and stir until melted and incorporated.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to your tastes. I find that the saltiness of a soup is dependent on the broth used. I use homemade so often need to add more salt than if I am using commercial broths.
Make it a Freezer Meal
- To a one gallon freezer zip bag, add everything except the white cheddar.
- To a sandwich sized freezer zip bag, add the shredded cheese.
- Add both zip bags to a gallon sized zip bag to store it all together.
- Label the outside bag and freeze flat.
- Freeze for up to 4 months.