Mexican cauliflower rice is here to take plain ol cauli rice to the next level. This side dish is (obviously) veggie loaded, and is ready in 10 minutes.
It took me a few tries to get on side with cauliflower rice.
To be honest, I still don't feel like it replaces rice in terms of texture, BUT there is definitely a place in my life for it as a veggie side.
Trying plain cauli rice was (and still is) a pass for me. I have to have it jacked up with flavor in some way.
This cauliflower fried rice recipe is what converted me.
Then, I tried this cauli walnut taco "meat" and it has been confirmed that I do in fact like cauliflower rice and cauli rice recipes!
You bet I use this recipe for meal prep.
I will make a batch on Sunday and use it as the side dish in my preps for the week.
I typically buy cauli rice already "riced" from my local grocery store, but have no fear, you can easily (but with a bit of mess!) make your own. Here is how you can prep it yourself.
Have you tried cauli rice before? Do you have a fav way to flavor it up. Tell me below in the comments! I am always looking for more ways to try it!
Mexican Cauli Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup onion, diced fine
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoon water optional
- 5 grape tomatoes, diced into quarters
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the onion and cook until they start to go translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and the spices. Saute for 1 minute and combine.
- Add the peas and cauli rice to the pan. Plan a lid on the pan. Stir the mixture occasionally to prevent sticking. If there is sticking, add 1 tablespoon of water at at time to remove anything that sticks to the pan.
- Allow the cauli rice mixture to cook for 5-7 minutes - until desired tenderness. Do not overcook or you will have mush!
- Add the quartered tomatoes in the last minute of cooking.
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.