Easy Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs that are fall off the bone tender in under an hour - for real.
Cooked to perfection in a savory sauce with very minimum prep and hands on time, this is your next Sunday Instant Pot dinner!
Not just for a fancy eating out meal, with your Instant Pot, you can have ultra tender short ribs in under an hour!
I am no stranger to putting ribs into the Instant Pot so I HAD to give it a go with beef short ribs. My Weeknight Instant Pot Ribs are here on the blog!
This post was originally posted January 2019, but I learned that the flavour was being diluted because the original recipe had too much liquid.
This recipe was updated with additional images, directions, and recipe December 2020.
Simple and minimal ingredients for Instant Pot Short Ribs
A few recipe notes:
- The chipotles in adobo add a depth of flavor here and as written, this recipe is not spicy.
- Why molasses? Molasses is a really underrated ingredient for added sweetness.
Which short ribs to get?
Short ribs come in 2 variations. First, is the English version - that you use in this recipe.
They are thick and short (see above image).
The other variation is the BBQ style short ribs which are extremely thin and and are in long strips.
It is as easy as putting all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot and pressing start!
Because the molasses is so thick, I suggest stirring everything together so it doesn't just stick to the bottom.
Then, simply place the short ribs into the sauce.
Don't worry, the beef doesn't need to be submerged.
As the meat cooks and the fat renders down, the beef will slip into the sauce - as well as create more sauce volume.
What to serve Short Ribs with?
Easy Instant Pot Short Ribs
- 6 Quart Instant Pot
- 2-3 lbs Beef short Ribs (cut into 3 inch sections)
- Salt & Pepper to season meat
- 1 cup Beef Broth (Better than Bouillon is by far my fav)
- ¼ cup Molasses
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 whole Chili peppers (in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the chili pepper can
Make it Now
- Season your ribs with salt and pepper.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the liner and stir unil combined.
- Add the ribs into the sauce mixture.
- Secure the lid, place the release knob to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook, high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Allow for 10-15 minutes of natural pressure release, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the ribs from the pot and serve with dinner sides. I also like to put a tablespoon of the juices onto the meat for serving, like an au jus.
Make it a Freezer Meal
- Place all of the ingredients into a gallon size freezer zip bag.
- Label the bag and freeze flat.
- Freeze for up to 4 months
- Thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking, then follow the "make it now" instructions above.