This is a super easy Taco Tuesday option that changes things up just a bit with a green salsa – with a special kick of black beans! This is a really quick recipe to prep raw and freeze making it a go to recipe at my house!
This recipe was part of our very first Instant Pot Meal Prep Challenge that was co-hosted with Denise over on Sweet Peas and Saffron, and this recipe, and the challenge were a huge it!
Since this was such a well received recipe, I figured it needed it’s own post on the blog!
I love this recipe mostly because it is so simple to prep raw and freeze.
Simply dump all of the ingredients in a freezer zip bag, lay flat to freeze, and on Taco Tuesday you simply dump the thawed contents into your Instant Pot and you will be ready to eat in under 20 minutes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz salsa verde (green salsa)
- ½ Tablespoon cumin
- ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package tortillas
- ** If using a thick salsa, you will need to add ½ -3/4 cup of water to thin it to prevent scorching**
- Salsa Toppings of choice (lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, etc)
- Add all ingredients (except the tortillas) to one gallon sized freezer bag or re-usable container.
- If you choose to store your meal in the freezer, add your salsa chicken bag to a new gallon sized bag. Also add the bag of tortillas.
- Lay flat and store in the freezer. This recipe can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the meal overnight in the fridge if you froze it.
- Pour the salsa and raw chicken mixture into the Instant Pot insert.
- Close the lid, place the pressure release valve to seal, and set the Instant Pot to 12 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure.
- If your chicken breasts are quite large, you may need to put them back in for 2-3 minutes to get them to shred.
- Shred the chicken in the salsa mixture.
- Build your tacos!
The best part about tacos is that each person can top them with what ever floats their boat! ….. and don’t worry about making too much, this recipe is great the next day for lunch leftovers!
So, there you have it, a little twist on Taco Tuesday that can be EASILY prepped ahead, and on the table in 20 minutes flat!
If you want to see more about what our Instant Pot meal prep challenges are all about, or find even more prep ahead meal inspiration, come on over to the Confessions of a Meal Plan Addict Community!