Instant Pot Mexican meatballs are for those weeknights when you just don’t have the energy for making dinner. 10 minute cook time from frozen, this dinner is on the table before you can get dinner delivered.
Instant Pots and meatballs. Likely the 2 most popular things I talk about on the blog.
Meatballs are so versatile, freezer friendly, and when you make turkey meatballs like I do, it is a pretty lean protein option.
After cooking millions and millions of meatballs in my Instant Pot, (ok, not quite millions) I have found that cooking turkey meatballs from frozen in the instant pot is the way to go. They hold up much better, and the pressure cook time is still just 10 minutes.
I cook turkey meatballs so much, that I batch make them, and freeze them so I can air fry them, instant pot them, grill them, or even bake them. My how to post on batch making and freezing meatballs is here on the blog.
This super easy “dump and go” recipe uses salsa as the base!
Salsa is a low calorie, minimal ingredient base to create with. You should check out my salsa verde tacos that use salsa in the Instant Pot too!
But, salsa alone is just a bit to bland with the plain turkey meatballs, so I infuse a bit more flavor into this one with pantry staples, and of course garlic.
This recipe is actually as easy as, salsa, spices, garlic, meatballs, pressure cook, add cheese.
About the salsa…
You are going to want to avoid really chunky salsa, OR make sure you add more than the called for water to thin your salsa out.
If you don’t do this, you are at risk of it scorching on the bottom.
I have also noticed that the final sauce consistency will vary depending on the brand. When I use our homemade canned salsa, the sauce comes out much thinner than with the commercial salsa I used when I did the photos for this post.
About the melty cheese…
Do not put the cheese under pressure. You have 2 options with your finishing cheese.
Option 1– After you release the pressure, add the cheese, put the lid back on, and the residual heat will melt the cheese.
Option 2 – If you prefer that golden crisp cheese, and not just ooey gooey, transfer the meatballs and sauce to an oven safe dish. Add the cheese and broil.
What do I serve these Instant Pot Mexican Meatballs with?
So many possibilities here.
Rice, on top of a sweet potato, on a bun like a sub, on spaghetti squash, on noodles ( I do penne), or on zucchini boats.
Or…. plopped right on a plate and covered in pico for a low carb option.
So, there you have it, Instant Pot Mexican Meatballs!!
Instant Pot Mexican Meatballs
- 6 Quart Instant Pot
- 18 frozen turkey meatballs you can use less and keep remainder of recipe the same
- 430 mL jar salsa (not chunky style)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 oz package grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime juice from one lime
- 1 small jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pour the salsa into the Instant Pot liner.
- Add all of the spices, garlic, and water, mix to combine.
- Add the meatballs, gently mix to combine.
- Secure the lid. Set to sealing.
- Set your Instant Pot to 10 minutes, high pressure.
- When the pressure cycle is complete, quick release the pressure.
- Cheese option 1: add the cheese to the instant pot, put the lid on and allow the heat to melt it.
- Cheese option 2: transfer the Instant pot contents to an oven safe container, and broil until melted.
- Serve with side of choice such as rice, quinoa, on a bun, in a wrap, on spaghetti squash, on a sweet potato, or just with the pico!
- Add pico on top!
To Make Pico
- Add all ingredients into a bowl. Gently mix!