Not yo' average jalapeno poppers, right here! Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken is prep ahead friendly, and on the table with a 12 minute cook time in your Air Fryer.
I have to admit, I love stuffing chicken with all the things, and then putting them in my Air Fryer.
It happened when I made Pizza Stuffed Chicken, and today, Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken!
Who isn't looking for any excuse to use jalapenos? It only makes sense to put some cream cheese in them too.
But... not just plain cream cheese. Garlic, chili powder, and onion powder also come to this party!
Typically, I make these wrapped in bacon. Thanks to my frequent trips to Texas, I have learned that Jalapenos are a vegetable, and cream cheese is it's own food group.
Jalapeno poppers typically are wrapped in bacon as an appetizer, but, I wanted to make them a meal, and less of an appetizer.
So why not roll them up in a boneless skinless chicken thigh?
You will need to use a toothpick to hold them together while they cook, but once they are done, they are all rolled up into a little love cuddle of magazines all on their own.
Then, just cut those babies open, make sure you mop up all of that that oozy cream cheese and pop it in your mouth!
I repeat. Mop up melted cream cheese with your chicken. This is a necessary step to loving on these.
I tested this recipe in the oven and Air Fryer and then gave the play by play on my Instagram Story.
Here is the summary - both versions came out very similar.
The Air Fryer version had a bit more char on the ends, though. The oven version had to be put at a higher temp, and cook almost twice as long (plus pre heat the oven). So really, the win was how efficient the Air Fryer cooked these.
I didn't find this batch spicy. First of all, I removed the seeds, and second, jalapeno eating is kind of like playing roulette. You really don't know what you are going to get. Mine ended up being mild, but sometimes you get a mouth burner - it is kind of the fun of jalapeno eating!
So, whatcha think, will you try them?
Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
- 12 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 6 jalapenos, seeded and cut lengthwise
- 125g room temperature cream cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp avocado oil (or any other oil of choice)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, garlic, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the stem of the jalapenos, cut them lengthwise, and remove the seeds.
- Using a butter knife, add the cream cheese to each of the 12 jalapeno halves, as if you are putting butter on bread! Divide the cream cheese mixture up between all 12 halves.
- Roll out a piece of chicken thigh so it is as flat as possible. Place a jalapeno popper on the chicken and roll it up. Use a toothpick to hold it secure.
- Repeat the above step until all of the ingredients are used up.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the oil mixture.
- Brush the oil mixture on both sides of each piece of chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through the cook time.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Arrange the chicken in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Do multiple batches if they don't all fit.
- Set the temperature to 380F and the timer to 12 minutes. Flip the chicken half way through the cook time.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.