I have never really been much of a camper, but this year we are giving this whole camping thing a go. Given I am signed up as a contestant in Stranded Water Valley Charity Event later this summer, I figure now is the time to learn this whole living outdoors thing – even if it is only May and you can still see your breath in the morning.
Of course, my biggest concern is OMG what are we going to eat?!?!
The idea of eating hot dogs and hamburgers for 3 days straight just isn’t my thing. So, you can expect a couple camping friendly recipes this summer as I figure out how to do it!
What is great about the campfire breakfast sandwich is you can either prep all of the desired veggies ahead of time, or you can chop them all up on day one, and have them ready to go for your whole camping trip.
To do the breakfast sandwich this way you will need a pie iron. My best friend introduced me to pie irons and my camping life has pretty much been changed. I have now made breakfast, dinner, and even a dessert (coming soon to the blog!) in a pie iron.
As per my usual recipes, they are flexible. Use which ever vegetables you have or want. I also opted for whole wheat toast, but use whatever bread type you like. This is also great because each person can customize what they want in their pie iron.
Campfire Breakfast Sandwiches
- 8 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 8 pieces of cooked bacon chopped.
- 4 eggs scrambled
- Assorted veggies peppers, mushrooms, green onions, avocado, tomatoes
- 1 cups shredded cheese
- Pre heat the pie iron in the fire for 3 minutes without any ingredients.
- Spray the pie iron with cooking spray.
- Place one piece of bread on the pie iron
- Add all of your ingredients on top of the bread (the bacon and eggs should be pre cooked).
- Place the second piece of bread ontop of the toppings.
- Close the pie iron, and heat the pie iron over the fire.
- Cook until the outside is golden brown. Open the pie iron and check every couple of minutes. Cook time will vary depending on how hot the heat source is.
So, there you have it, a prep ahead option (or not) for a campfire breakfast!
Leave a Reply