I am no stranger to taking my husband’s fav foods and lightening them up a bit… and finding ways to prep them ahead.
I like to do most of my weekly dinner prep on Sunday and have everything ready to come together quickly after work.
This recipe is no different. This is very prep ahead friendly. Just assemble to the cook phase, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
While for most of the year, I have been using my Instant Pot to get dinner made quick, I recently started using an air fryer and am having fun figuring out prep ahead air fryer recipes!
As much as we love pizza around here, we are looking to keep our starchy carbs low these days, so these stuffed chicken thighs are perfect to satisfy our pizza cravings!
This was a win at our house this week, and when I shared it on my Instagram Story, majority voted that the recipe come to the blog.
With only 5 ingredients, this is a simple recipe to whip up ahead of time and store in the fridge for a busy weeknight. I haven’t tested this recipe frozen.
- 5 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 14 slices turkey pepperoni
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 5 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheese for topping
- Open your chicken thighs and lay them flat on a piece of parchment paper.
- Place a second piece of parchment paper over the chicken.
- Pound the chicken to create a thin piece. This makes the chicken easier to fold, and cook quickly. Spoon on a tablespoon of pizza sauce on each piece of chicken and spread it evenly.
- Place 3 pieces of turkey pepperoni on top of the sauce.
- Add one slice of Mozzarella cheese.
- Fold one side of the chicken over on to the other
- Use a toothpick or skewer stick to hold the chicken together. Once cooked it stays together on it's own.
- Preheat the air fryer at 370F for 2 minutes.
- Grease the tray, and lay the pieces out in a single layer.
- Add the chicken and let cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 6 minutes.
- For the last 3 minutes, add cheese to melt on the top. Cooktime may vary depending on how thick your chicken pieces are. Always check chicken thighs to ensure they are heated to 165F.
To make these bad boys,I have the Power AirFryer and I love it. I have a 3 person family so the 3 quart works for us, if you have a larger family, I suggest the larger 5 quart Power Fryer XL.
I am looking forward to more Air Fryer recipes to come to the blog this year!