Italian Sheet Pan Gnocchi is a caprese inspired recipe. The perfect combination of refreshing flavors and comfort foods, this is definitely a dish for every season.
I love the simplicity of ingredients in a traditional caprese salad. Slices of tomato, mozzarella, basil, salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil, it just shouts refreshing. With a little twist, this classic turns into a delicious and filling vegetarian sheet pan meal.
No Extra Cooking Required!
Baking the gnocchi gives it a slight crispiness to the outside and a chewy, yet tender inside. There is something about it that just works!!
- Shelf packaged and homemade gnocchi can be transferred directly to the sheet pan for baking. Do not boil.
- If you are using frozen gnocchi, follow the thawing instructions prior to baking. I have not used frozen gnocchi and would love to hear from you if you h
Looking for more Sheet Pan Meals? Check out a few of these!
What you need for Italian Sheet Pan Gnocchi
Gnocchi, also know as Italian dumplings
- Traditionally made with potato and flour. There are many other variations of gnocchi, including potato free and even gluten free options. For this recipe I used a store bought packaged traditional gnocchi.
Bocconcini- Meaning “little mouthfuls” in Italian.
- This is a fresh, semi-soft mozzarella cheese. For this recipe I recommend using the cocktail size or pre-cut medallions. Look for bocconcini near the deli.
Basil- An aromatic herb belonging to the mint family.
- Chiffonade’ is a slicing technique for cutting basil into long, thin strips.
- Remove the leaves from the stem and stack on each other
- Roll the leaves tightly together
- Slice the leaves perpendicular to the roll, creating beautiful ribbons
Balsamic Vinegar- Is an aged, dark, concentrated vinegar.
- Balsamic vinegar is slightly sweet and works well in salad dressing, dips and sauces.
- Grape Tomatoes, Red Onion and Garlic
Looking to add a meat option?
Proteins like sausage and chicken are great additions to this dish and can be baked at the same time, keeping the recipe a true one pan meal.
Additional time may be required. Always check to ensure protein is cooked thru.
ARE YOU READY TO TRY ITALIAN SHEET PAN GNOCCHI FOR YOURSELF?
Italian Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Baking Sheet
- 3 cups Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 lb Gnocchi, pre made, potato
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 200 g Bocconcini, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Basil, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic and gnocchi.
- Add olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix well
- Transfer to a large baking sheet
- Bake for 12 minutes. Onions should have some color and tomatoes should have shriveled up a bit.
- Add mozzarella cheese and bake another 3 mins
- Serve topped with basil