All the traditional tasty amazingness of a traditional lasagna, but this is the Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna version. No messing around with boiling noodles, making sauce, and then baking it. Oh, and 4 minute pressure time for this one!
I am not new to Instant Pot Lasagna, I have this Sneaky Veggie Instant Pot Lasagna on the blog already. I do love it, but it only serves 4, and you need accessories.
So, when I have bit more of a crowd to feed, I need this Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna. It serves at least 6 people, and no accessories needed. Bonus, it’s only 4 minutes under pressure!
I have seen SO MUCH variation in cook times with pasta in the Instant Pot. I have done pasta probably a few hundred times in the Instant Pot – for real – and my method hasn’t failed me yet. So, when I saw mini lasagna noodles, I had to give them a try.
Here are a few things about Instant Pot pasta:
The order of how things go in is important. Follow the recipe in terms of layering things.
You can do quick release, but just keep an eye out. Sometimes it can be super foamy and spew! It hasn’t happened a lot, but it can.
DON’T MIX THE NOODLES IN. Leave them on top – untouched! Mixing them will give you a big clump of noodles.
As a general rule, I half the cook time and make that the pressure time I set!
The water should be the last thing you add. It goes on the very top and you want to gently push the noodles down below the surface.
Also key for this recipe. The dairy ingredients don’t go in for the pressure cycle! you add those after, and the heat of the pot gets everything all melty melty so not to worry!
So, here’s the method to my madness:
Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 25oz jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups dry mini lasagna noodles (mafalda noodles)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Press the saute function and once the pot is hot, add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. When almost all of the pink is gone, add it the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent. Drain grease if there is any. Also scrape any bits off the bottom to prevent the burn signal.
- Press cancel. Add in the sauce. Mix to combine.
- Add the noodles on top of the meat and sauce mixture.
- Add the water on top of the noodles. Do NOT mix. Gently press down any noodles that are not submerged in the water.
- Place the lid on your pot. Secure and set to sealing. Set the time to 4 minutes (high pressure).
- When the pressure cycle is done, quick release the pressure (you don't want the noodles to over cook). If there is foam it is spurts out. Close the valve for 3 seconds, open for 3 and repeat until spurting stops.
- Stir in the cottage cheese.
- Add the mozzarella on top. Place the lid back on to trap the heat. Let sit until it is all melted and amazing.
- Serve immediately.
So, there you have it, a weeknight friendly, Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna!