This batch style sneaky spaghetti sauce is jam packed with veggies and makes enough to fill your freezer. Win- Win. This recipe makes an appearance almost once a week at our house!
I messed with the man’s spaghetti sauce. He loves pasta sauce. I love pasta sauce. We eat it ALL.THE.TIME. I went THREE years making this before he noticed the zucchini in it. 10 years later, I don’t even know if he knows I also put carrots in there.
Once this sauce is made and in the freezer, I will use it for lasagna or other pasta casseroles too. This sauce is probably the most versatile sauce I have in my freezer.
I have been cooking pasta sauce for years and have now perfected it to make it lean and healthy but not sacrificing any yummy factor.
This is also a pretty budget friendly recipe if you get your ingredients at Costco. I buy the four pack of ground turkey for $20CDN. I also buy the flat of both crushed tomatoes and tomato paste as I use those ingredients in so many things.
| EXPERT TIPS FOR FREEZING using a foodsaver|
- Once the sauce is cooked, let it cool down before you package it up for your freezer.
- You can use a foodsaver, like I do, but you can also use zip bags if you are comfortable with the leak risk! You can also use these freezer “jars”
- Use a canning funnel to get the sauce in the bag, and make my husband hold the rig while I load the bags!
- Then to seal the sauce, I set it up on my foodsaver like below. Notice the sauce is below the sealing entry. Thank you gravity. Then, press the vacuum seal button and as soon as the sauce starts to move out, press seal. This doesn’t fully remove the air, but it has been 100% leak proof and makes for super easy freezer storage.
Fill Your Freezer Sneaky Spaghetti Sauce
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 large cans 796ml diced tomatoes
- 2 small cans 156ml tomato paste - if you like a thinner sauce, use only 1 can.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup finely diced or grated carrots
- 1 - 1.5 cups finely diced or grated zucchini
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- pepper to taste
- In a LARGE stock pot, brown the ground turkey until no longer pink.
- In the last minute of cooking, add the onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn up the heat until you reach a boil.
- As soon as you get a boil, turn down the heat to low (or the bottom will burn).
- Let simmer for a minimum of one hour, with the lid on.
- If the sauce is not thick to your preference after the hour, take the lid off and let it reduce down.
- Let sauce cool completely before storing in the freezer.
So, there you have it, Fill Your Freezer Sneaky Spaghetti Sauce so you can cook once and have many many easy weeknight dinners!