An oven roasted pot roast is a common Sunday meal, but, I have always been kind of intimidated by it to be honest. So, my friends a Long Run Ranch have helped me out here with this Long Run Ranch Perfect Sunday Pot Roast recipe!
New Year, new category of recipes on the blog! Say hello to Long Run Ranch Perfect Sunday Pot roast… and the start of Sunday Dinner category!
It only seems fitting that the first recipe in a Sunday dinner category be a pot roast!
I called in the experts for this one. I try buy most of my meat directly from local ranches. Yay to living in Alberta!
A lot of my beef comes from Long Run Ranch in Crossfield, Alberta. So, I reached out to Amy, ranch wife extraordinaire, to share her perfect pot roast recipe.
She also gifted me a couple of cross rib roasts so I can practice my oven roasted roasts!
This recipe calls for searing each side of the roast before popping it into the oven for a very hands free Sunday Dinner.
Why would I start a Sunday dinner category on the blog?
Well, Sundays are my planning and prep day, so I need to start dinner, and it be hands off while I plan and do my prep for the week.
Also, it’s a nice way to change things up because on Sunday’s it is usually my husband, Brad (aka BT), that does the cooking, and his low and slow recipes are actually totally, 100% bloggable.
So now, you can look forward to seeing more of his low and slow, hearty Sunday creations here very soon!
But first, how about some Long Run Ranch Perfect Sunday Pot Roast!
Long Run Ranch Perfect Pot Roast
- 3 lb cross rib roast
- 2 TBSP kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions quartered
- 4 large carrots chopped into one inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 fresh sprig rosemary
- 1 fresh sprig thyme
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Season the roast with salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in an oven safe pot. A cast iron dutch oven is best!
- Saute the onion for 1 minute and remove and set aside.
- Add the roast to the pot and sear on each side. Approx 1 minute per side.
- Remove roast and add 1/2 broth to deglaze the pot.
- Place the roast back into the pot and add in the remaining broth. The broth will be about half way up the roast.
- Arrange the carrots, potatoes, and onions around the roast.
- Add the fresh herbs, and put the lid on your pot.
- Roast in the oven for 2-3 hours to your desired level of doneness.
So, there you have it, the first post for my new Sunday Dinners category! A classic Perfect Sunday Pot Roast!