Looking for an easy way to fill your freezer with a dinner freezer meal starter?! Look no further, it doesn't get any easier than this Batch Prep Taco Meat recipe made with homemade taco seasoning!
My best tip for streamlining once a week meal prep is to always have a few freezer meal dinner starters in the freezer. I have a whole post about freezer meal starters here.
There are a few things I always batch prep to have in the freezer to make dinner come together quick.
This Batch Prep Taco Meat is one of them!
This is such a simple recipe, and I make mine without the store bought seasoning with a million ingredients.
I make a scratch made seasoning that is portioned perfectly for this 3 pound batch prep.
Once you have your taco meat in the freezer, the time intensive part of dinner is all done.
You can then easily throw together tacos, burritos, a taco soup, a taco casserole, taco breakfast casserole, Tex Mex Gnocchi Skillet, Meal Prep Turkey Black Bean Salads, or even a quick batch of sweet potato nachos!
My personal preference is to freeze my portions in foodsaver bags with this Foodsaver system.
Once it is sealed, I use a rolling pin to get it all flat. I then freeze flat. This is a really space efficient way to freeze your meals!
Are you ready to fill your freezer with taco meat!?
Batch Prep Taco Meat
- 3 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a large pan or a dutch oven, brown the meat on medium heat until no pink remains. Drain the excess grease, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all of the seasoning ingredients.
- When the meat is cooked, add in the seasoning and water. It should be around 5 tablespoons of seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium heat until the water is nearly evaporated.
- Remove the taco meat mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer the mixture in to freezer safe containers, label, and freeze for up to 6 months. The portions per container are completely dependent on the size of your family!
So, there you have it, a really simple way to fill your freezer with batch prep taco meat to get dinner on the table in no time!