These Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken Meal Prep Bowls were a major shocker to me. I had a bit of a vision of what I wanted to do for these, but once I mixed it all up and got started, I quickly became skeptical that it would work. Like suuuppper skeptical.
Years later after having my Instant Pot, I still hold my breath with anticipation when I take the lid off an peer into the pot, hoping that I don’t have an Instant Pot fail on my hands.
This recipe is quite different than what I usually try but I am trying to get a bit more adventurous in what I try to make, and worry less about recipe fails!
I have now switched to using boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the meals I know I am going to freeze to fill my freezer with grab and go lunches. The thighs re-heat beautifully!
For the labels, I use freezer tape as masking tape falls off when frozen.
So, on to the delicious goodness….
I made these using the pot in pot method, so I only had to use my pot once. Pot in pot basically means you cook 2 things at the same time, but not all combined.
To do this recipe you need a long leg trivet (I like this set) , and a stainless bowl. The one I have, isn’t a bowl, per se. It is an Indian spice dabba, but it works perfect size wise. See in the picture below how close to the edges it gets – fits perfect in a 6 quart pot.
Also… this rice. O.M.G
If you don’t want to mess around with this amazing rice, you can also just do plain rice (1:1 ratio)!
If you don’t have these accessories – you can still make this recipe! See the notes of the recipe card for details, but essentially you cook the chicken, and then the rice. Totally doable!
- 2 -2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 cups salsa
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 cups shredded cheese of choice
- 5 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, quartered
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno (more or less to taste preferences)
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 cups white basmati rice
- ⅓ cup canned corn
- 1.3 cup canned black beans (rinsed)
- In a blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes, lime juice, garlic cloves, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, tomato paste, pinch of salt and pepper until smooth.
- In your stainless bowl for pot in pot, add the rice, corn, beans, 1 cup of the blender sauce, and ¾ cup of water.
- Place the chicken in the liner of the pot.
- Add the salsa (OR THE LEFTOVER SAUCE FROM THE BLENDER) plus ¼ cup of water (if your salsa is thick).
- Add a long leg trivet.
- Put the pot in pot bowl with the rice ontop of the trivet.
- Close the lid, seal the pot, and set on manual or pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure when the pressure cycle is complete.
- Remove the bowl of rice - fluff with a fork.
- Remove the trivet and add the cheese.
- Put the lid back on and let sit until the cheese melts.
- Divide the rice and chicken into containers - use up the remaining beans and corn as a side dish if you like!
Are you into the meal prep game … with your Instant Pot?! Me too! Check out this post where I share a few recipes I prep in my pot and freeze for ready to go lunches!