A bite size of trail mix delicousness packed into these Choco-Cherry Trail Mix bites. Cherry because I LOVE cherries.
I am such a sucker for the 3pm sugar craving and to avoid taking down a costco sized bag of M&Ms, I like to pack a sweet treat when I am jonsin’ hard.
I also have a not so secret addiction to cherries, so come summer in Western Canada, cherry season starts to hit hard. I whip up a batch of these, and put them in the freezer and grab one when I am craving hard.
With just dark chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, and cherries, you reduce all of the preservatives added to conventional treats.
You can even reduce the sugar even more in these by using cacao nibs.. but that is not my jam, personally.
Because of the fresh cherries, these only last a week tops in the fridge, so I suggest putting them in the freezer for longer term storage. Keep them in the mini muffin tins to prevent them all sticking together.
Choco-Cherry Trail Mix Bites
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 10 fresh pitted cherries cut in half
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Place the nuts and seeds into a food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times and set aside.
- Remove the cherry pit and cut them in half. Set aside.
- Set out 20 mini baking cups.
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe container and microwave for one minute, or until smooth and melted.
- Gently pour approx 1/2 teaspooon of chocolate in the bottom of the baking cup.
- Place 1 half cherry on the melted chocolate.
- Add the nut mixture to fill the cup (approx 1 teaspoon).
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top (this will bind it all).
- Place the cups into the fridge to set.
- These will keep for 5 days in the fridge or up to 4 months in the freezer.
So, there you have it… the time I united my most favourite two foods… chocolate and cherries… into a freezer snack!