I broke my life rule of not freezing eggs. Here I go again, being a bad ass rule breaker.
Every time I post about a breakfast casserole, or a breakfast bowl I am asked if it is freezable. My response is always “I dunno, I don’t freeze eggs”. Given I am asked this so frequently, I figured I would unleash my inner scientist and do my own experiment.
The moral of the story – google was right. You can successfully freeze scrambled eggs. But, like any good scientist I needed to validate it myself.
This recipe is make ahead (confirmed freezable!), has quinoa and essential veggies! This is basically what my breakfast dreams are made of.
This recipe made me four breakfast bowls. Each was a 1 cup servings with each bowl having approximately 1 egg and ¼ cup of quinoa. You can very easily scale this up for more servings.
Given Sunday is typically the day I cook my quinoa for the week, and chop all my produce, this came together in about 10 minutes. I typically chop all of my veggies for the week, while my quinoa cooks in my rice cooker.
Freezer Friendly - Quinoa Egg Scramble Bowl
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups approx sliced peppers (green, red and yellow)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- Scramble 4 eggs. Its ok to leave them a little runny as they will cook more on reheat.
- Add the spinach, peppers, and onion to the pan with the eggs and cook until the spinach wilted and peppers are cooked.
- Add quinoa to the pan and mix altogether until the quinoa is warm.
- Top with salsa and cheese (these freeze just fine).
- Portion out the mixture into storage containers. Let the bowls fully cool in the fridge and then transfer to the freezer.
| Expert Tip | the more salsa you add, the more risk you have that this will be too soggy on reheat. You could add the salsa only at reheat if you prefer.
So, there you have it, the time I conquered my fear of freezing eggs!!