It must be nearing fall because all I can think about is soups! Soups are one of my favourite food groups. Yes, soup is a food group.
The problem with instant soups is if you get them in a package or can they are filled with salt and preservatives, and no fresh chicken or veggies. Actually, now that I think about it… what the heck is in canned and packaged soups?!
Instant mason jar soups are easy to throw together on Sunday and have for a couple of days. You only add the water just as you are ready to have your soup.
I have learned a few things about mason jar instant soups since I started experimenting:
- Use a wide mouth jar. If you don’t, you can steep your soup in the jar but then you have to dump it into a bowl. I also love using these weck jars!
- Zucchini noodles have the perfect aldente noodle texture when steeped from raw! No starchy noodles or pre cooking required!
The recipe below is what I put in mine, and beyond the flavour base, I will leave it to you to decide how much of each veggie you want to use!
- Flavour Base
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 Tablespoon sweet red chili sauce
- The Soup
- Cooked Chicken
- Sprialized Carrot
- Sprialzed zucchini
- Chopped Green Onion scallions
- Chopped Snap Peas
Place the flavour base contents in the bottom of the jar.
Place the chicken ontop of the flavour base. I do this because this base has a wet ingredient and I wouldn’t want the veggies to get soggy.
Pile veggies on top.
When you are ready to eat, simply add boiling water and let steep with the lid on for approximately 3 minutes. Don’t forget to give it a stir (or shake) before you put the lid on so the flavour base can dissolve.
So, there you have it, the beginning of more than a few soup posts for the fall!