I love this dish for so many reasons, but mostly because from the time I walk in the door, to the time dinner is on the table is 15 minutes. You cook the sauce once, to fill your freezer, and end up with multiple dinners that can be on the table in 15 minutes.
Every couple of months I cook up a batch of this Thai Curry Sauce and freeze it - and then on my weekend prep day, I prep all of the things I will throw into the dinner kit that week.
I don't like to freeze veggies so I don't cook the veggies and freeze. I only ever freeze the sauce by itself, and then prep the kits only the week I want to serve it.
I have pulled what I have liked best from the many times I have cooked the sauce, and created Make Ahead Thai Curry Hot Pot Dinner Kits.
The beauty of this is the number of different dinners you can create from this basic sauce are truly endless.
Alternatively, this is a great way to get rid of a random collection of veggies that remain at the end of the week. You can dump pretty much anything into a curry hot pot.
This recipe can easily be halved if you don’t want to fill your freezer.
Make Ahead Thai Curry Hot Pot Dinner Kits
- 6 cans coconut milk 400mL cans
- 2 TTablespoons coconut oil for sautéing.
- 1 onion diced.
- 3-5 TBSP Thai curry paste red, greed or yellow depending on how hot you like it
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 5-8 Tablespoons minced very fine lemongrass
- 6 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 cups chicken OR vegetable stock
- Saute the onion in coconut oil until translucent.
- Add the curry paste, cumin, peanut butter, lemongrass, and ginger to the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add one can of coconut milk and saute until the paste and peanut butter are smooth.
- Add remaining coconut milk and stock.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes and let it cool.
- Divide up into freezer safe containers and place in the freezer until the night you want to cook it.
- On cook day, allow the sauce to thaw overnight. Saute your veggies and protein. Add the sauce until all is warmed.
On Sunday, I prep the fixins that I will use for the week.
For noodles - you can use rice noodles or any spiralized veggie. or even use rice. I like butternut squash and rutabaga best!
For veggies - ANYTHING goes. Hello spiralized carrots, mushrooms, red peppers, and broccoli.
For protein - ANYTHING goes. To keep it vegetarian, add chickpeas!
If you have this sauce in your freezer, and your fixins are pepped and chopped, dinner will be served within 15 minutes of getting home from work!
So, there you have it, my secret to Make Ahead Thai Curry Hot Pot Dinner Kits .... and serving dinner in 15 minutes!