If you are part of the Confessions of a Meal Plan Addict Community, or follow my Instagram, you know that sometimes I let others do all the work to fill my freezer – I subscribe to the mantra “work smart, not hard”.
In my hometown (Airdrie, Alberta, Canada), we have a great meal assembly business called Social Supper.
Basically, each month, they rotate their menu and do all of the shopping and prep.
You simply pick your meals, show up, assemble them, and leave. I do this once a month to quickly fill my freezer up to alleviate the dinner time rush during the week – and with limited energy on my part! I walk out in 30 minutes with these for my freezer.
Having this option has been especially amazing while I recover from surgery.
Social Supper is also where I run my live cooking workshops. Our collaborative Instant Pot 101, and Instant Pot Masterclass workshops have been a huge hit and continue to sell out!
When we run these workshops, I convert Social Supper’s healthy meals into instant pot meals and I am having a lot of fun doing it!
But… thanks to google analytics, I see that last month, readers of the blog are from 124(!!!!) different countries. I realized that 95% of you reading the blog, are not in my small city, or even in Canada (umm woah). So, really most of you will never get to come to an actual workshop to try this amazing food.
So….. each month, we will feature one of the tried and tested converted to IP recipes, on the blog!
Last month we featured Apple Honey Pork Tenderloin and this month we introduce you to Coconut Curried Sweet Potato Stew.
I love this recipe as I can cook both components of it at once, and then easily portion into freezable grab and go lunches (in these freezer jars).
You can also whip this up as a meatless Monday dinner dish, if you so desire!
I am in love with cooking using the pot in pot method in my instant pot – it truly changes the game of one pot cooking.
To do this as pot in pot, you will need a few things that do not come with your Instant Pot. You need a long leg trivet, a stainless bowl that fits in the pot (I use this stainless spice bowl), and you need a pot retriever to pull the bowl out.
Or, you can cook the stew in the pot, and the rice separately, and not do this as pot in pot – your choice if you want to do more dishes than you need to.
Instant Pot Coconut Curried Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ Teaspoon each of cinnamon turmeric, cumin, coriander
- 1 Teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 Teaspoon minced red chilli pepper spicy!
- 2 cups diced tomatoes I use from a can
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups dried basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and dried spices.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Press cancel on your pot to stop the saute function.
- Add all remaining ingredients (EXCEPT rice and water) to the Instant Pot Insert.
- Place your rice and water in your stainless pot in pot bowl, and onto the long legged trivet.
- Put the lid on the pot, set to sealing, and select manual for 4 minutes.
- Let the pot naturally depressurize for 10 minutes when the timer beeps, and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Serve the stew over rice.
So, there you have it, an easy to assemble, quick to cook meal that comes together in one pot…. and almost… Instantly!
This post contains affiliate links for the products I love and use. When you purchase these products via these links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank You for supporting Confessions of a Meal Plan Addict Blog.