See…. I don’t only make spiralized veggie and Instant Pot recipes! Sometimes, on the weekends, I revert back to using my oven.
When my husband saw me prepping this recipe, he had a look of utter disappointment. Sure, I was making meat and not a veggie dish, but he promptly lectured me on how beef jerky should have a wet marinade (not the dry one here), AND should be cooked in our backyard smoker and not in the oven.
Well, since I love nothing more than proving him wrong, AND protein snacks for the week, I made this dry rub, oven baked beef jerky.
Again, I proved him wrong and he ate half of my “WTF are you doing Beef Jerky”
This recipe was born because I was spending a small fortune on beef, bison, and turkey jerky from our local butcher shop on a weekly basis. While it was super delicious, my habit was going to have me selling a kidney to keep it up. Also, my purchased jerky was pretty salty.
So, here is where this landed.
Some expert tips here. With flank steak, if you want really tender jerky, cut your strips along the grain, but if you want chewier jerky, cut your strips against the grain. I did mine against the grain.
DIY Oven Beef Jerky
- 1 pound flank steak cut into strips
- 1 TBS meat tenderizer
- ½ TBS red chili flakes
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS worcheshire
- 1 TBS coarse hickory peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 225F
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and combine until steak is coated.
- Place a coollng rack or wire rack on top of a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Lay the steak in a think layer on the rack.
- Bake for 3 hours, flipping the steak pieces half way through.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container
These are perfect right out of the oven and we almost didn’t have any for snacks this week. Whoops. Lesson learned – next time I double this recipe!
So, there you have it – a week of delicious protein snacks!