Eat the beets! Eat the beets!
Safe to say that I have a love for beets. For the last year, I have been pretty much spiralizing them and it has been a great ride. But, I have now been looking for ways to EAT THE BEETS! in a few different ways – beyond just baking them (boring!) or raw spiralizing.
Seriously, I have a mild obsession with beets. Look at those golden and candy cane beets!!! With beauties like this, it is not hard to make Instagram worthy culinary creations!
The downside to beets is that your kitchen looks like the scene of a crime when you are preparing them, but the upside is that beets are packed with nutrients. Beets are great for detoxification … and oddly enough they are said to be an aphrodisiac?!?
Beets are now in snack form at my desk at work. Also… in a mason jar! Hello… Beet Salsa!
This has been a great, easily portable desk snack this week. For a couple of days, I ate my beet salsa on cucumbers, and for a few days, I put it on some rice crackers. Both good options!
This plate of snacking goodness is about 100 calories.
This is a pretty easy recipe that comes together with just FOUR ingredients
- 2 large beets - to yield approx 2 cups of chopped beets
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Cut the beets into chunks and toss with the balsamic vinegar
- Bake at 375 for about 20-30 mins (until a fork can easily pierce them)
- While the beets are baking, finely chop the onion and cilantro
- Let the beets cool and chop into fine pieces
- Mix all ingredients together
So, go EAT THE BEETS!!!
There you have it, another healthy snack in a jar!