I honestly don’t know what was more challenging… figuring out the correct spelling of pierogi, or tying to figure out how I can eat them in moderation - with mostly vegetables. Seriously – so hard.
I landed on pierogi for the spelling. I am taking this advice from my friend Emma, who owns Pinched By Hand Pierogies. The woman hand pinches these things for a living, so I am thinking this is a good source of truth. You can literally see her passion for the pinch RIGHT HERE. Pinched currently offers over 15 varieties of pierogies including vegan and gluten free options. It is my life goal to try every single one! #lifegoals
When I discovered her business in my city, my Ukrainian genes kept saying EAT THEM ALL RIGHT NOW. But, my waistline was saying, eat the spiralized veggies.
So, my brain met in the middle with this Spiralized Pierogi Soup.
One of the biggest learnings of my 50 pound weight loss was learning how to moderate the foods I love, not give them up completely, and I always always always try to have more veggies on my plate than anything else.
Sustainable weight loss, for me, wasn’t about giving up all of the foods I love, it was about finding balance. Moderation is key.
For my recipe, I use handmade pierogies. Note that if you use store-bought ones, you may need to adjust (increase) the cooking time.
Another piece of pierogi boiling advice is to not have a raging boil going on, but a very mild simmer. The agitation of the boil will lead to a pierogi explosion – which tastes fine, but is kind of a big mess.
Also, if you don't want them soft, I suggest pre cooking and then frying them first. For me, that is too many steps - but might be up your alley!
For make ahead, simply spiralize (or just the old fashioned chop) your veggies and then dinner will come together in less than 15 minutes for you.
15 Minute Spiralized Pierogi Soup
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion spiralized (using the flat blade) and then roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot spiralized
- 4 cups spiralized cabbage using the flat blade
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 large can 769ml/28oz Diced Tomatoes (I use Muir Glen roasted tomatoes for a richer flavour)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 10-12 pierogies of choice
- Scallions and bacon for garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat oil on medium heat.
- Saute onion for one minute, and add garlic. Saute for one more minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, spices, Worcestershire, carrots and cabbage- simmer on low/medium heat until carrots cook (only takes 2-3 minutes).
- GENTLY add pierogies. If using fresh made, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with bacon and chopped scallions, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
So, there you have it, my way of not having to be with out delicious hand pinched pierogies, and still getting in all of my veggies!
If you are interested in seeing how I have found balance by turning my favourite foods into lighter versions, see my post on Spiralized Pizza, Spiralized Pad Thai, and my Spiralized Pot Sticker Bowl, that is featured on the Inspiralized site!